Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Phone: 248-642-5400 or 888-362-1900
Timothy Orlando is an experienced litigation attorney who joined Resnick Law, P.C. after spending the first 14 years of his legal career representing individuals and corporations in a diverse defense litigation practice.
Tim has experience representing clients in premises liability, automobile negligence, products liability, dram shop claims, subrogation claims, insurance coverage disputes, civil rights claims and toxic tort actions. In addition to his active trial court practice, Tim is an experienced civil appellate attorney, having successfully argued cases before the Michigan Court of Appeals.
Since joining Resnick Law, the focus of Tim’s practice has been in the areas of commercial litigation and transactions. In real estate and construction, Tim has litigated contractual disputes between builders, subcontractors, suppliers and homeowners. Further, Tim has prosecuted and defended quiet title, slander of title actions, and foreclosure actions, as well as construction lien foreclosure actions and claims under the Michigan Builders Trust Fund Act.
Tim has represented clients in general civil actions for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, conversion, fraud, misrepresentation and sexual harassment. He has also represented clients in property damage claims based on both statutory and common law trespass. When business relationships have soured, Tim has litigated shareholder disputes and business dissolution actions.
In addition to his litigation practice, Tim has an active general business practice, including: initial entity choice, formation, and operation; drafting and reviewing contracts; transactional services; drafting and reviewing buy/sell agreements; risk management; mergers and acquisitions; and dissolutions.
Tim’s knowledge of real estate and business law is a key asset of the firm. Tim drafts and reviews real estate purchase documents, residential and commercial leases, loan documents and he prepares applications for zoning matters before municipal planning commissions and zoning boards.
Finally, in this era of declining property values, Tim represents clients in property tax appeals before local boards of review and the Michigan Tax Tribunal.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Law
- Real Estate Transaction and Litigation
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Civil Appeals
- Property Tax Appeal
- Business Law
- Michigan, 1988
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1988
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1989
- Wayne State University Law School, Detroit, Michigan
- J.D. – 1988
- Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
- B.S. (Magna Cum Laude) – 1984
- Honors: Recipient – Wayne State University Merit Scholarship
- Adjunct Professor, University of Phoenix, 1995 – 2003
- Legal Aspects of Supervision
- Business Law
- Legal Environment of Business
- Employment Law
- Ethics in Management
- Conflict Management Systems
- Faculty Curriculum Coordinator for Undergraduate and Graduate Law & Ethics, 1999 – 2000
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan, Member, 1988 – Present
- American Bar Association, Member, 1988 – Present
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, Member, 1989 – Present
- Defense Research Institute, Member, 1989 – Present
- Case Evaluator for Macomb County Circuit Court, 2010 – Present
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer Mediator, 46th District Court, 1990 – 1997
- Volunteer, Macomb County Food Program, 2009 – Present
- Volunteer Judge, Michigan High School Mock Trial Tournament sponsored by Michigan Center for Civic Education
- Volunteer coach, Fraser Youth Soccer Club 1998-2000
- Manager, Gators Soccer Club, 2005 -2008
- Manager, Michigan Burn Soccer Club, 2008-2013
- De La Salle Collegiate Dad’s Club, 2005-2013
- Volunteer, Macomb County Food Program 2009 – Present