Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Phone: 248-642-5400 or 888-362-1900
H. Nathan Resnick is the founding member and managing partner of Resnick Law, P.C., and heads the commercial litigation, real estate and corporate law practice groups. In addition to his busy practice and management responsibilities, Nathan also serves as a trustee to several trusts and manages commercial and residential properties.
Upon graduating law school, Nathan joined the firm Thav, Gross, Steinway and Bennett where he honed his skills in the both the courtroom and corporate board rooms. Having tried numerous cases in both federal and state courts, and representing individuals as well as companies in complex Chapter 11 cases in bankruptcy court, Nathan refined his skills to become a leader in his field.
In 1993, Nathan decided to hang his own shingle, roll up his sleeves and found Resnick Law. As the firm has grown, adding several top-notch lawyers and paralegals along the way, Nate continues to practice the mantra that has led Resnick Law’s growth: give each client the time, energy and attention they are paying for and deserve. He never loses sight of the fact that his counsel to clients going through difficult and stressful times can make the difference in achieving their goals.
While Nathan has extensive experience in bankruptcy and creditor’s rights, he is also well known for his corporate litigation skills in both state and federal court, as well as Tax Court. Nathan’s skills have earned him the respect of his peers and his reputation for not cowing to pressure, and taking a case to trial when necessary, has garnered him the admiration of both his colleagues and opposing counsel.
Nathan has won jury trials and bench trials, and is known as a “bulldog” in the legal world because he refuses to back down from any case — even if his client is “the little guy.” Whether it’s flying to Germany, which he did at the request of a client to try a case or litigating in federal court, Nathan is a quintessential advocate for his clients’ needs.
Former clients include well-known Fortune 500 companies as well as the second largest residential home builder in Michigan. He co-tried a construction case as defense counsel where the plaintiff was seeking $42 million. Nathan achieved a favorable outcome on the case with a verdict where his client only had to pay three percent of that $42 million demand. Moreover, even though this was considered a “win” for the client, Nathan appealed and won a complete victory in the Court of Appeals. After the appellate win, his client paid nothing and was awarded attorney fees exceeding $300,000.
As an entrepreneur and business owner, Nathan brings more than just adroit legal advice to the table because he understands what it means to be both an employee and a business owner. He grasps what it takes to run a company successfully and tackle the day-to-day challenges of operating a business in the 21st century. Most important, Nathan knows how to roll up his shirt sleeves and get things done so his clients can get back to work and do what they do best.
On a personal note, Nate is married and the proud father of two boys. He enjoys coaching his sons’ hockey and baseball teams.
- 70% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Michigan, 1989
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1994
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1989
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1993
- U.S. Tax Court, 1994
- Wayne State University Law School, Detroit, Michigan
- J.D. – 1987
- Honors: Dykema Gossett Award for Brief Writing Excellence
- Honors: Winner of the Barris, Sott, Denn & Driker Trial Competition
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- B.A. – 1982
- Honors: High Distinction
- Orley Enterprises, Inc. v. Tri-Pointe, Inc., 206 Mich App 614, 522 N.W.2d 896 (1994)
- U.S. ex rel. Jones v. Horizon Healthcare Corp., 160 F.3d 326 (6th Cir. 1998)
- In re Dalen, 259 B.R. 586 (Bkrtcy. W.D.Mich. 2001)
- In re Levine, 287 B.R. 683 (Bkrtcy. E.D.Mich. 2002)
- Business Law, Teaching to Certified Public Accountants
- Gave seminar on “Legal Advice You Need to Know” which included the following: ABC’s of a real estate transaction, property tax appeals, estate planning basics, and what you should know when starting a new business
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, Dykema Gossett Award for Brief Writing Excellence
- For the past several years, Mr. Resnick received an award from the Bankruptcy Court for his Pro Bono legal representation.
- Winner of the Barris, Sott, Denn & Driker Trial Competition
- Received an award as one of America’s Most Honored Professionals
- America’s Most Honored Professionals goes to the top 1% professionals in the United States. It is awarded for “continuous professional recognition an accomplishment realized by the Top 1% of American Professionals . All qualifying public recognitions of excellence are certified by the American Registry and include significant mentions in the press and honors by recognized trade groups, and acclaimed recognitions by peers or clients.
- Awarded as a Top Lawyer in Metro Detroit as published in dbusiness magazine
- AV® rating as preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell® in 2012 and every year since then
- The AV® Preeminent Rating is the pinnacle of professional excellence earned through a strenuous Peer Review Rating process that is managed and monitored by the world’s most trusted legal resource Martindale–Hubbell®.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan, Member
- Oakland County Bar Association, Member
- Oakland County Bar Association Fellows
- Michigan Association for Justice